McAllen Uninsured Car Accident Attorney
Although Texas law requires all drivers to hold car insurance, not all motorists follow the rules. If you are in an accident with an uninsured driver, you may wonder how you can recover compensation without an insurance policy to file a claim against. In these situations, you need an attorney on your side—and the McAllen uninsured car accident attorney at De La Garza Law Firm can help.
Why Choose Us
- Our uninsured car accident attorney has significant negotiation and trial experience. We will not hesitate to pursue litigation to obtain a fair settlement on your behalf.
- Our firm takes on a limited number of cases at a time, enabling us to provide your case with the dedication and personalized attention you deserve.
- You will have a direct line of communication with your attorney from consultation to settlement. We will be available to answer any questions you may have and provide you with important updates on your case.
Texas Car Insurance Requirements
Texas is a fault-based car accident state, meaning that at-fault drivers are financially liable for any damages their victims sustain in a collision. To uphold this financial responsibility, Texas law requires all drivers to hold the following minimum amounts of liability insurance.
- $30,000 for bodily injury liability per person per accident
- $60,000 for total bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 for property damage per accident
Drivers can choose to purchase higher amounts of coverage if they choose. If you are in an accident caused by another driver, you can typically recover compensation by filing an insurance claim with the driver’s insurance policy or filing a personal injury lawsuit against him or her in Texas civil court.
Legal Options for Uninsured Car Accident Victims
If you are in an accident with an uninsured driver, you still have options for compensation. First, if you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM), you can file a claim against your policy to recover compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and more. This coverage provides protection in situations where a driver does not carry insurance or does not have insurance to meet your needs. You will need to purchase this insurance in advance—Texas does not require drivers to carry UM/UIM coverage.
If you do not have UM/UIM coverage, you can recover compensation by filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver directly. The driver would be financially responsible for your losses if the court finds that he or she caused the accident. However, it is important to remember that many people who do not carry insurance may not have the funds to pay for a lawsuit settlement out of pocket. For these reasons, it is important to carry UM/UIM coverage to maximize your chances of compensation.
In any situation involving an uninsured driver, it is important to speak with an uninsured car accident attorney as soon as possible. Your lawyer from De La Garza Law Firm will work closely with you to understand your legal options and determine your optimal path to maximum recovery.
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation Today
If you are in an accident with an uninsured motorist, you have options for compensation available to you—and De La Garza Law Firm can help. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and strategize your next steps with a McAllen uninsured car accident attorney.