Call for a Free Consultation
click for free consultation

First Party Insurance Claims for Property Damage

To individuals or businesses, property is a valuable asset that is constantly at risk from various hazards, such as accidents, weather, or vandalism. When damage does occur to a vehicle or house, for example, property owners quickly turn to their first-party property policy for assistance. If you are in need of a lawyer to spearhead your first-party claim for property damage, contact the De La Garza Law Firm. We will ensure you receive the compensation you need for your loss. Reach our office online or by calling (956) 533-1426.

Why Choose to Work With Our Firm?

  • We have achieved verdicts and settlements in excess of $5 million on behalf of clients in just the past 18 months.
  • We have extensive experience dealing with insurance companies and ensuring clients are treated fairly and receive the compensation they need.
  • Our founding attorney, Rafael De La Garza, /will objectively assess your claim, and give you the best chances of success.

Do I Need a Lawyer for My First-Party Insurance Claim for Property Damage?

Hiring a lawyer as representation will protect your rights when it comes to filing your first-party insurance claim for property damage. He or she will have the knowledge and ability to carefully examine the facts of the loss, the language of your policy, and the applicable law. All of which will enable you to have an understanding of the value of your property loss, as well as work through any contested issues of coverage.

What is a First-Party Insurance Claim?

A first-party insurance claim is filed by a policyholder (the first party) and their insurance company (the second party). These claims are contingent on the specific policy language, which is often dozens of pages long and contains content that only very experienced insurance company representatives can interpret. An example of a first-party insurance claim for property damage would be an individual who suffers fire damage to their home. Under a homeowner’s insurance policy, for instance, they would file a claim to cover the destruction and repairs. However, compensation will only be given according to what is covered under the insurance policy.

Fighting a Denied First-Party Insurance Claim for Property Damage

Insurance companies are for-profit companies, with the goal of paying out as little as possible on policyholder claims. Although your property damage losses may be covered under your first-party insurance policy, it doesn’t mean your insurer will pay all that they are required to by law. When this occurs, it is referred to as “bad faith” insurance tactics. Some examples of an insurance company acting in bad faith include:

  • Delaying or denying compensation without a justifiable reason
  • Failing to promptly acknowledge and reply to a claim
  • Failing to perform a proper and thorough investigation into the claim
  • Attempting to settle a claim for an amount that is less than reasonable
  • Failing to inform the insured of an appeals process
  • Failing to provide a reasonable explanation for a denied or underpaid claim
  • Requiring unnecessary documentation to process a claim
  • Using harassing investigative methods to intimidate the claimant

If an insurance company is failing to comply with the terms of your policy, and you believe it is an act of bad faith, you have the right to file a lawsuit. Contact a first-party insurance lawyer to have your case assessed, so you receive the compensation for your property damage that you are entitled to.

The De La Garza Law Firm is Here to Help

Attorney Rafael De La Garza serves clients throughout South Texas. To set up your free consultation with a skilled McAllen personal injury lawyer, send us a message online or call (956) 533-1426 today.