McAllen Truck Accident Attorney
Semi-truck accidents can change the lives of the victims and their families forever. The size and weight of semis play a major role in the often devastating and fatal nature of these types of collisions. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a semi-truck accident, speak to an experienced McAllen truck accident attorney at the De La Garza Law Firm. We can help obtain the compensation that you and your family deserve, call (956) 533-1426 today.
Why Work With Our Semi-Truck Accident Attorney?
- Our firm puts clients first. We are prepared and willing to do everything in our power to make sure you are happy.
- We have recovered over $5 million for our clients in the last 18 months alone.
- We offer free initial consultations to talk about your case and to help you understand your rights.
Why You Need a McAllen Truck Accident Lawyer
Semi-truck accident cases are often complex, due to federal regulations and the typical involvement of multiple liable parties. An experienced semi-truck accident lawyer will have the resources to thoroughly investigate your accident and preserve any evidence against those responsible. That can involve working with experts in accident reconstruction, obtaining relevant documentation such as police reports, interviewing witnesses, and more. Trucking companies and their insurers will have teams of accident attorneys ready to deny or reduce liability. Hiring legal representation will protect you and ensure you receive the full value of your claim.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Texas
Establishing the cause of a collision is critical to recovering compensation. The following factors commonly contribute to semi-truck accidents:
- Sudden braking
- Drug and alcohol use
- Distracted driving
- Trucker fatigue
- Improper loading
- Failure to inspect and maintain a tractor-trailer
- Mechanical defects
- Defective road conditions
All too often, these types of accidents are preventable but occur due to the negligence of the truck driver or the company they work for. A McAllen truck accident lawyer can help you determine what caused your accident and who is responsible for your personal injuries.
State and Federal Trucking Laws
There are special state and federal laws that may apply to your semi-truck accident claim. In particular, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCA) has established laws for trucking companies, truck drivers. The following are some of the most important regulations:
- Trucking companies must obtain a high amount of insurance coverage to match their higher level of financial responsibility in the event of an accident.
- Truck drivers must be at least 21 years of age, have a valid commercial driver’s license, and be proficient in English.
- A driver may only operate a truck for 11 hours after a 10-hour break.
- After taking a 10-hour break, a driver may not drive more than 14 consecutive hours.
- A driver is only allowed to work 60 to 70 hours in seven to eight consecutive days.
- A driver can restart the seven to nine-day work week after having a minimum of 34 hours off.
- Trucks are only allowed on the road after being deemed safe by an annual FMCSA inspection.
- Routine inspections and repairs must be performed to maintain the integrity of a truck.
- A truck may only carry up to 20,000 pounds per axle.
- The gross weight of any vehicle cannot exceed 80,000 pounds.
Different Types of Truck Accidents De La Garza Law Firm Represents
Any type of truck accident could result in catastrophic injuries and severe property damage. Due to a semi-truck’s size and weight, they are more likely to be involved in some types of accidents. Common types of truck accidents include:
- Underride accidents. These accidents occur when a truck suddenly stops and a smaller vehicle behind them can’t brake in time and crashes under the truck’s trailer. These are serious accidents that often end in complete destruction of the vehicle, serious injuries or even death.
- Rollover accidents. A rollover accident can be extremely dangerous due to a truck’s size and weight. Rollover accidents may be caused by taking a sharp turn at high speeds or when the wheels catch on an object in an extremely steep road. When a truck rolls over it’s unpredictable how much damage it will cause to other vehicles on the road.
- Jackknife accidents occur when a truck’s trailer skids and forms a 90-degree angle with the cab, this angle makes it impossible for the cab to move and the truck will remain stuck in this position. Jackknife accidents are commonly caused by braking too quickly or defective braking equipment.
- Tire blowouts are another type of accident that trucks could be involved in. When a tire blows out it is almost impossible for a trucker to control the vehicle, a tire blowout could lead to a truck rollover and other accidents. A blowout can be caused by an old, worn-out tire, a defective tire or a road defect.
An experienced truck accident attorney in McAllen can help you secure the compensation you deserve after suffering one of these unfortunate accidents. Seek legal advice as soon as possible after your accident with a truck to recover damages for your losses.
Compensation You Can Recover
After an accident with a truck not only may you be suffering from your injuries, but you have incurred unexpected medical bills, lost wages due to time away from work, or suffered the wrongful death of a loved one in the accident. With a successful truck accident lawsuit, you can recover damages from the at-fault party to cover for your current and future medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and other losses. The truck accident lawyers with De La Garza Law Firm will guide you through the legal process and fight for the best possible outcome. Our law firm works on a contingency fee basis, which means that you don’t pay any upfront fees, so you can worry about recovering from your injuries while we work on securing the compensation that you deserve.
Contact Us For a Free Case Evaluation
If you’ve been injured as a result of a truck driver or trucking company’s negligence, you deserve compensation for your suffering. Our McAllen semi-truck accident attorneys have the experience needed to obtain the best possible outcome for your case. Call (956) 533-1426 and schedule a free consultation with our legal team today. Our truck accident attorneys have experience representing accident claims in McAllen and throughout the Rio Grande Valley.