San Juan, TX Car Accident Attorney
Car accidents are unfortunately common on Texas roads. According to the Texas Department of Transportation’s 2019 statistics, one person suffered an injury in a Texas car crash every two minutes and three seconds. If you are the victim of a collision that is not your fault, De La Garza Law Firm can help. Texas is a fault state when it comes to car accidents, meaning the person responsible for the crash must pay for the damages you incur. The San Juan car accident attorney at De La Garza Law Firm will work tirelessly to recover the compensation you need to recover.
Why Choose Us
- We operate on a contingency fee basis for maximum affordability. This means that if we do not win your case or recover a settlement, you do not owe legal fees.
- Our firm has successfully assisted victims of car accidents throughout Texas seek fair compensation. We will work tirelessly on your behalf to maximize your recovery.
- It can be difficult to know what to do after an accident. Our firm will provide you an honest evaluation of your case, identifying your optimal pathway to settlement.
Benefits of Hiring a Car Accident Attorney
Many car accident victims wonder if they need to hire a lawyer after their collisions. While it is possible to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit without an attorney on your side, hiring an advocate to represent your best interests is important. Hiring a San Juan, Texas car accident lawyer can provide several benefits to your claim, including the following.
- Your attorney can handle negotiations with insurance adjusters on your behalf, using tough negotiation skills to advocate for your needs.
- Your lawyer will know how to prove liability and defend you from accusations of liability.
- Your attorney will have the resources and authority to launch a comprehensive investigation into your claim, helping you gather necessary evidence.
- Your lawyer will have significant trial experience and can develop a compelling case in your favor using measured strategies.
Who Can Be Held Liable?
Texas follows a fault-based insurance system, and any driver who is responsible for an accident must pay for the damages that the victims of the crash sustain. Proving a driver’s negligence requires establishing the presence of four key facts.
- The driver owed you a duty to follow traffic laws and drive safely.
- The driver breached that duty of care in some way.
- The breach of duty caused your accident.
- You sustained damages in the accident you can collect compensation for.
For example, if you are driving in a school zone and another driver sideswipes you while speeding, he or she breaches the duty of care by speeding. You can use medical records, surveillance footage, witness testimony, and expert validation to prove the cause of the accident and the nature of your injuries. A car accident attorney can help you determine who is the liable party or parties and will fight to recover compensation for your damages.
Modified Comparative Fault Laws in Texas
Not all car accident cases have an obvious at-fault party. If the court believes you may share a portion of the liability for the accident, it may reduce the award you receive by the amount of fault you hold. Texas’s modified comparative fault laws will prevent you from collecting any compensation if the court discovers you share most of the liability.
For example, if you are in a sideswipe accident but surveillance footage shows you were texting and driving, the court may assign 40% of the fault to you. If you ask for a $100,000 settlement, you will only receive $60,000. If the court discovers you drifted into the oncoming lane while on your phone, it may assign you 51% of the liability and you will not receive any compensation.
Contact De La Garza Law Firm Today
Were you recently injured in a car accident in Rio Grande Valley? De La Garza Law Firm can help. Our San Juan car accident attorney has the negotiation skills, trial experience, and resources you need to seek fair compensation for your car accident damages. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and discuss your legal options.