Edinburg Car Accident Attorney
Car accidents are unfortunately common in Texas, contributing to several serious injuries and fatalities each year. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 3,610 Texans lost their lives in motor vehicle collisions in 2019, and 15,843 more residents suffered serious injuries in these accidents.
If you are suffering from the aftermath of a car accident in Edinburg, Texas, De La Garza Law Firm can help you seek justice. We advocate for the rights of South Texas residents who suffer damages in car accidents, fighting aggressively for your right to compensation from consultation to settlement. Contact our Edinburg car accident attorney to discuss your case during a free consultation.
Why Choose Us to Represent Your Car Accident Claim
- Our firm believes that honesty and direct communication is crucial to a car accident claim. Your personal injury attorney will handle your case from start to finish.
- Our founding attorney is a tough negotiator and can handle difficult negotiations with insurance companies to push for maximum compensation.
- Legal representation is often inaccessible — which is why we operate on a contingency fee basis. You do not pay any legal fees unless we secure a settlement for your accident claim.
Texas Car Accident Laws
After a car accident, you may wonder who is responsible for paying for the injuries you suffer. Since Texas follows a fault-based insurance system, the driver responsible for the accident must pay for the collisions they cause.
You have three options to pursue compensation after your accident: filing an insurance claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company; filing an insurance claim with your own insurance company, if you have appropriate coverage; and filing a personal injury lawsuit in civil court.
Different pathways work best for different cases. Most Texas car accident cases begin as a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company and can settle during this stage. If the claim does not settle or the insurance company refuses to provide a sufficient offer, the case can proceed as a lawsuit. There are some situations where filing a lawsuit first is the best pathway, especially if you have high amounts of damages that exceed the policy’s limits. Before taking action, speak to an Edinburg car accident lawyer at De La Garza Law Firm to determine which process is right for your case.
What to Do After a Car Accident
The moments after the accident are crucial to your future case. If you can do so safely, take the following steps to protect yourself and preserve evidence.
- Call 911 and report the accident to the responding officer. Answer honestly, do not admit fault, and if you do not know the answer to a question, say that you do not know.
- Seek medical attention and save all records related to your visit. You should still visit a hospital even if your injuries are minor or you do not feel injured; you may have internal injuries you are not aware of, and you need medical evidence to support your claim.
- Take photographs and collect contact information. Photograph your injuries, both vehicles, and the area around the accident. Collect contact and insurance information from all drivers involved and ask any witnesses in the area for their contact information as well.
If you are suffering from serious injuries, your first priority is always your safety. Always call 911 and seek medical attention immediately after a collision. After receiving treatment, call our car accident attorneys in Edinburg to discuss your accident.
Time Limit to File a Car Accident Claim
If you suffered serious injuries and property damage in a car accident in Edinburg, TX you may be able to recover compensation from the at-fault party. In Texas, you have two years from the date the accident occurred to file a lawsuit. Failure to file a lawsuit in this time period means you waive your right to file a claim and won’t be able to recover compensation after the two-year limit has passed. This is why it’s important to contact an Edinburg car accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident to seek justice from a negligent party.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Law Firm
If you are in a car accident resulting in injuries and other damages, contact the De La Garza Law Firm for assistance. Our attorneys will fight tenaciously for your optimal compensation throughout each stage of your car accident claim.
We take on a limited number of cases at a time, ensuring you receive the personalized attention and consistent communication that you deserve. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and strategize your next steps. We represent clients in Edinburg, McAllen, and throughout the Rio Grande Valley.