McAllen Semi-Truck Accident Attorney
Semi-truck accidents can change the lives of the victims and their families forever. The size and weight of semis play a major role in the often devastating and fatal nature of these types of collisions. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a semi-truck accident, speak to an experienced McAllen truck accident attorney at the De La Garza Law Firm. We can help obtain the compensation that you and your family deserves, call (956) 533-1426 today.
Why Work With Our Semi-Truck Accident Attorney?
- Our firm puts clients first. We are prepared and willing to do everything in our power to make sure you are happy.
- We have recovered over $5 million for our clients in the last 18 months alone.
- We offer free initial consultations to talk about your case and to help you understand your rights.
Why You Need a McAllen Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer
Semi-truck accident cases are often complex, due to federal regulations and the typical involvement of multiple liable parties. An experienced semi-truck accident lawyer will have the resources to thoroughly investigate your accident and preserve any evidence against those responsible. That can involve working with experts in accident reconstruction, obtaining relevant documentation such as police reports, interviewing witnesses, and more. Trucking companies and their insurers will have teams of accident attorneys ready to deny or reduce liability. Hiring legal representation will protect you and ensure you receive the full value of your claim.
Common Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents
Establishing the cause of a collision is critical to recovering compensation. The following factors commonly contribute to semi-truck accidents:
- Sudden braking
- Drug and alcohol use
- Distracted driving
- Trucker fatigue
- Improper loading
- Failure to inspect and maintain a tractor-trailer
- Mechanical defects
- Defective road conditions
All too often, these types of accidents are preventable, but occur due to the negligence of the truck driver or the company they work for.
State and Federal Trucking Laws
There are special state and federal laws that may apply to your semi- truck accident claim. In particular, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCA) has established laws for trucking companies, truck drivers. The following are some of the most important regulations:
- Trucking companies must obtain a high amount of insurance coverage to match their higher level of financial responsibility in the event of an accident.
- Truck drivers must be at least 21 years of age, have a valid commercial driver’s license, and be proficient in English.
- A driver may only operate a truck for 11 hours after a 10-hour break.
- After taking a 10-hour break, a driver may not drive more than 14 consecutive hours.
- A driver is only allowed to work 60 to 70 hours in seven to eight consecutive days.
- A driver can restart the seven to nine-day workweek after having a minimum of 34 hours off.
- Trucks are only allowed on the road after being deemed safe by an annual FMCSA inspection.
- Routine inspections and repairs must be performed to maintain the integrity of a truck.
- A truck may only carry up to 20,000 pounds per axle.
- The gross weight of any vehicle cannot exceed 80,000 pounds.
Contact the De La Garza Law Firm
If you’ve been injured as a result of a truck driver’s negligence, you deserve compensation for your suffering. Our McAllen semi-truck accident attorneys have the experience needed to obtain the best possible outcome to your case. Call (956) 533-1426 and schedule a free consultation today. Our McAllen accident attorneys will evaluate your claim and help you understand your rights.